Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Gagged

Mme Cyn has not posted in a while, as she is out of sorts. It is one of those "what am I doing in this godforsaken sand pit" months, and as she has nothing nice to say, she has said nothing.

Actually, that is not quite true. I have said plenty behind closed doors, but one of the things that is getting right up my nose lately is that we foreigners have all been, in effect, gagged. And this is item number one on my current "I hate this" list. As a stranger in a strange land, I do not have the right or freedom to speak my mind.

And so I won't. Amazing how effectively living here in the sandlands has taught me to hold my tongue. My grandmother would have been thrilled -- she tried to teach me for years.

8 Comments:

Blogger Taunted said...

Oh Cheer up - I thought you were on a promise last night!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Jayne said...

It's when you're told what to think that you start to worry.........

11:00 AM  
Blogger bandicoot said...

...or when you start saying what you're expected to say without others telling you so so boldly....

12:50 PM  
Blogger nzm said...

Resistance is futile...you are being assimilated...

...into the Dubai expat life.

:-)

5:55 PM  
Blogger Gnomad said...

at least you're only gagged in public, and can still say and think what you please privately. There are too many folks here in the Magic Kingdom who have been gagged for so long the gag is on their thought processes, not just on their speech.

Was George Orwell ever in the Gulf, do you think, some time prior to 1984 perhaps?

6:11 PM  
Blogger Mme Cyn said...

Hey, Gnomad -- Have you figured out yet why we call it the Magic Kingdom?

10:34 AM  
Blogger J. Edward Tremlett said...

what kind of gag are we talking about here?

feel free to email if you don't want to say anything public-like

6:57 PM  
Blogger Gnomad said...

mme Cyn, and anyone else who may be interested, for further thoughts on why "The Magic Kingdom" has the name it does see recent postings on "The Gnoomad"

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker