Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Detour

Day 46 After six weeks and sixty two dives, I found myself getting on a plane again: not for another dive resort, but for Hong Kong. Don’t get me wrong – there’s lots more of the Philippines I want to dive, but I’ll save it for another time. Sometimes a girl just wants to shop, and I figured since it was so close (and cheap!) and I hadn’t been since HK since it went Chinese again, I might as well make a quick hop over to the New Territories.

It is so great to be in a proper city again! I can’t remember the last time I was in a truly cosmopolitan city. Dubai pretends, but it just doesn’t cut it. In Hong Kong, everyone bustles, everyone’s busy, everyone’s on the street. It has a huge, busy business district and vast shopping areas where you can find just about anything you want (not an underwater flash for a Sony T-series, but then nobody dives here). There are museums, parks, sights and a highly efficient public transportation system – Dubai, take note: Hong Kong was also run by the British at one point in time and look where it is now!

My first day was spent in Ocean Park, which is an aquarium/amusement park in the Causeway Bay area. I had intended to stay only for the morning, but was having such a good time I spent the day. Ocean Park’s “Atoll Reef” aquarium is stunning. I’ve seen many of the fish while diving, of course, but not so many all at once. I debated going to the dolphin and sea lion show as I don’t really approve of them, but went anyway. It was well-done, too. I wrapped up the day with a cable car ride to the lower section of the park and then a hot air balloon ride (OK, it was tethered, but still) to finish off. Then off to Sogo Hong Kong.

The Japanese department store chain, Sogo, has (IMHO) the best department stores on the planet, and the Hong Kong Branch did not disappoint. Who wouldn't love a department store with sixteen floors! Of course, HK Sogo is one department store among many… Dubai, which claims to be a shopping mecca, doesn’t even have a decent department store (Harvey Nichols isn't bad, but it's tiny). Hong Kong has dozens. Again, Dubai, take note! HK days two and three were spent walking the length of Nathan Road and environs and trawling the shops, "depaatos" and holes-in-the-wall, plus a couple of markets for good measure. Suffice it to say that my Christmas shopping is done and I am going to have to pay horrendous excess baggage on the airlines.

Tomorrow, it’s off to the museums and maybe a temple. And then home.


6 Comments:

Blogger Passionate Dilettante said...

You have been missed, missis, but thank you for your fascinating entries. I've enjoyed my armchair holiday of a lifetime.

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cynthia, why do I *not* remember that with the sailors - I do remember the bar with the Marines, though! Or were they sailors? But I do remember the McDonalds and the Egg Drop Soup! Are you getting to Macao this time? Find any silk? And remember when we bought Tim's gift?

Julie

3:40 PM  
Blogger halfmanhalfbeer said...

Mme Cyn: I'm all homesick now. HK was my home for ten years (91-01) and I LOVED it! What a great place.....

Have a safe trip back.

HMHB

4:12 PM  
Blogger Keef said...

I can't believe you don't think Dubai is a 'real' city! Is it because we don't have a Cathedral?

2:54 PM  
Blogger nzm said...

Keefie: Nah - it's because we don't have an aquarium!

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lived in HK before Dubai and loved going to SOGO. Motto: So far SOGO. Well, it had to be said :-)

Emjay

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker