Friday, April 06, 2007

Piscine

Day 42. Here are some fish. Yes, fish. None of those almond-and-triangle shaped things you drew when you were a kid. These are serious fish.


This is a frogfish. They’re angler fish and tend to stay more or less in one place, though we did see one swimming. (If this link works, then here’s a video. Otherwise, you’ll have to come by my office and I’ll bore you in person).

This fellow is a flying gunard, found in the sand in Sulawesi. They usually hide in holes in the sand, but not only did this one come out, but he very nicely displayed for me. I had to chase him a bit, so I’m lucky to have gotten this picture at all.


The lionfish is lovely, but very poisonous. Those feathery spines carry a nasty toxin which can (and does) kill. I keep well clear of them (Neil took this picture in Bunaken), along with their species-mates, the stonefish. This white one was very deep, so the color is a bit funky. Both of these are part of the scorpion fish group, and here’s a pink leaf scorpion fish found in Sulawesi, again, taken by Neil, who has more guts than I have.


On the non-poisonous front are these little fire dart gobies, and the lovely Banggai cardinalfish, which Erika fell madly in love with in Sulawesi.
They’d look great on Martini Rock back home, but I don’t think we can import live fish. Not that Bunaken would miss them – they were everywhere.


Finally on the fish front is this jawfish. I feel lucky to have spotted this one, since they usually hang out in a hole in the sand with their mouths open and they’re easy to miss. I managed to coax this one out of his hole and get him to open wide. Isn’t he lovely?

So many fish, so little time.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear Cynthia - finally caught up on your posts and all the lovely pics -- love the story about the batik - can't wait to see it.

As always, inspired by your intrepid-ness!

Love,
Julie (yes, that Julie)

8:01 PM  
Blogger Mme Cyn said...

JULIE -- You'll never BELIEVE Where I am right now.... see my next post!

(PS -- Remember the sailors on their knees to us at the Tsim Sha Tsui McDonald's back in 1993, begging us to go to the beach with them...?)

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got some smashing photos, Doll. I could send you some of low-visibility kelp ... ?!

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker