Sunday, July 15, 2007

Harry

All my adult life I have loved children’s fiction, possibly because when I was a child I leaned more toward adult books. My mother, whose nose was never out of a book during my entire childhood, had a library which was always open to me: I remember staying home from school at about age ten to finish reading Jane Eyre; Rebecca had me up all weekend at the same age, cowering under the blankets. My parents’ books were right in front of me, so I read them. My mother never censored what I read (though she didn’t explain anything if it was too sophisticated – I missed all the real fun of James Bond the first time around!), so I read any and every thing that came along. For the most part I liked big thick novels and histories, and kid’s books couldn’t compete. I had read and loved the Anne of Green Gables books and Alice of course, but the books my friends were reading, like Nancy Drew and other lightweight girls’ serials, left me cold. Kids are weird.

So I really came to kid lit like I came to most of the stuff I read – I fell into it. I think it all started in high school or college with The Phantom Tollbooth, which I had picked up off a friend’s bathroom counter. I think her little sister had been reading it. At any rate, I now read anything for children that sounds good... Beatrix Potter, Dr Seuss, Roald Dahl, Cornelia Funke, Diana Wynne Jones, Eoin Colfer, Phillip Pullman, C.S. Lewis, JRR Tolkien… I read it all.

I first heard of Harry Potter shortly after the first book was published. I was on the test-writing team for our English department, and Jane, the testing supervisor, had a recording of a BBC talk show we intended to use as a text in the exam. In it a group was discussing this new book that had all the kids – even boys — reading. It was basically a school story (ooh! like Stalky & Co!) about a boy wizard (Matilda!) and his friends fighting evil. Simple, classic themes. Bubble gum for the brain. Sounded good to me.

And it was. Yes, the characters are often stereotypes, the language can be a bit contrived, and Harry needs a good slap every now and then, but they’ve all been a great day’s read (well, perhaps not Book VI). And here I am, years later, like so many sad anoraks, eagerly awaiting the final installment of the story. So I’ve decided that since all the childless adults in my circle have been sitting over our Starbucks speculating as to the outcome of the saga, I’d put it on the line and publish my predictions for The End of the Story. You can laugh at me next weekend (and probably will) when I prove disastrously wrong, but here goes. You people with real lives can stop reading now.

The Deaths: JK Rowling has stated that two of the main characters will die. At least. Voldemort buys it for sure, but the question is, how and by whom does he get his? In some ways it makes perfect sense for Harry and Voldemort to kill each other in one big bang, but JKR has already shown us what happens when two brother-wands duel; Voldemort isn’t stupid enough to fall into that trap again anyway. Besides, we’re all expecting that. On the other hand, if JKR really doesn’t want to write any sequels, killing off Harry is a sure way to go. Although ‘justice’ would dictate that Harry gets to kill Voldemort, the world is not just, and JKR’s last couple of books have clearly demonstrated that she’s not for the rosy-sunshiney plot lines. Voldemort has to either die or go back into that half-death he’s just come out of because having him win in the end would be just too, too bleak. If he goes, the other Death Eaters will stick around. JKR wouldn’t get rid of all the evil in the world – that would be too sweet. Of course, Voldemort could live and his entire support group get wiped out instead. One way or the other, the Evil has to be dealt a death blow at the end of Book VII.

I would wager that Voldemort will waste Draco Malfoy – cavalierly, with a flick of the wand — but I don’t think Lucius would kill Voldemort over Draco. He might try and then get himself avada kedavra’d, but I don’t think he has such father-feeling. We shall see. Narcissa isn’t a major enough character to kill Voldemort but she would try and she would fail. If my Dumbledore theory is correct (see next section), it’ll be Snape who kills He Who Must Not Be Named.

One of the Three has got to go. If Harry lives, it will be either Hermione or Ron who goes; one will die defending the other. If JKR is ever considering a sequel, she really can’t kill Hermione, who is the most interesting of the three main characters. So it’ll be Ron if it's either. Hagrid could well fall in the crossfire, as could Prof. McGonagle – both will be out there in the front ranks at the last battle. Same with any of the Order of the Phoenix, really. (I’ll cry if she kills off Molly or McGonagle, though.) I think Neville could be instrumental in bringing down Voldemort: he’s my number two pick for final executioner. Harry can’t live while Voldemort does, but the prophecy doesn’t directly say Harry has to kill him himself. Neville will come out of this a hero, but he may have to go down fighting. Ginny, however, won’t die —she’s already been nearly killed off. So has her dad., so there's no fun killing either of them now. So looking at the scoreboard: Voldemort is a yes and so is Draco (on a hunch) and (possibly) one of his parents. Ron or Hermione are possibilities, but not both -- and neither if Harry dies. Neville’s death is a strong possibility, but it will be heroic if it happens. The professors could easily die in the last battle, since the goodies and baddies are so nearly matched magically. Which brings us back to Harry. I confess I wouldn’t miss him, but it seems too pat to have him vaporized in a final duel with Voldemort. He will live, but be destroyed — either in spirit or in mind, like the Longbottoms. He will not come out unscathed, but death? Hmm.

Dumbledore: Sorry, JKR, but I do not buy the idea that Dumbledore was taken in by Severus Snape. Albus Dumbledore was the premier wizard of his day, and he trusted Snape implicitly. It’s nothing to do with justice: I have faith in Dumbledore’s brains. There is a reason he died, even if he never told us what. Snape killing Dumbledore – even if he was obliged to protect Draco through the Unbreakable Vow — just sits wrong. Unless, of course, Dumbledore sacrificed himself for the greater good of getting rid of Voldemort once and for all. By killing Dumbledore, Snape "proves" his loyalty to HWMNBN and so solidifies his own position within the Death Eaters; he can then get at Voldemort from the inside. And that’s where my money is. Snape is able to kill Voldemort because Dumbledore sacrificed himself. It was pre-ordained. Which would have been so like him (I love Albus).

Though how Snape is going to keep the Order from zapping him before he gets to HWMNBN is beyond me. They won’t believe it was a set up. Perhaps Harry finally resolves his relationship with Snape and helps him escape the wrath of the Order? Until Snape killed Dumbledore, I had always thought that he and Harry would call a truce eventually. Snape is too intelligent to hold a grudge against Harry just because he's a snotty kid who had an arrogant father. Not that Snape could be 'redeemed' or made in any way likeable, but I think the "Obsessively Hate Harry" thing has been part of the bigger plan all along. Maybe they kill Voldemort together, and Snape dies in the fight saving Harry. That way Harry lives, Dumbledore's trust is justified, and Snape isn't around anymore so we're not obliged to like him now. Now there's a twist.

Horcruxes: These are interesting. There are seven holding the sundered soul of Voldemort, but where and what they are is beyond me. I’m flummoxed, I confess. We know about the diary, the ring, and the false locket Horcrux that Dumbledore and Harry found in the cave. I think the person who took the real locket Horcrux was Sirius’s little brother Regulus Black, and the locket is among the trash that was cleared out and is now in Kreecher’s nest in the back of the kitchen. I wonder if Regulus is really dead, or if he will show up in Book VII. I’d like that. He could be a major force in Book VII, and if Harry is going to have a happy ending, it should come through Sirius' brother. It has been suggested to me that Harry’s scar or Harry himself might be a Horcrux ( I told you we talk about this over coffee… sad, innit?) but I don’t think so. I think Voldemort would have hidden all seven pieces long before going on his Order-killing rampage. And killing Harry would be a dicey proposition, just in case Harry’s bit was the only piece of soul left. What if he couldn't recapture the piece? So there are four Horcruxes out there. They all will be something symbolic to Voldemort, and they all have to be absolutely secure. Hmmm. Nagini the snake is probably one of them -- it would make sense for one to be a living creature, because the scene where it gets killed and Voldemort watches that bit of his soul float away would be such fun to write. I think Bellatrix LeStrange must have one, since she’s such a delightfully evil character that she needs a bigger part in Book VII. But otherwise –I think at least one is hiding in plain sight, so to speak, and at least one is at Hogwarts. The Horcruxes, clearly, will be a major part of the plot of the Book VII.

So there are my predictions. At 3:01 a.m. this Friday night, I’ll be at the Potter Party at the Mall of the Emirates, buying my copy. I’ve got Saturday off and I’ve arranged not to have any papers to grade, so I shall see how far wrong I am. As will the rest of the world. If indeed I am. So laugh at me all you like, but please – while you’re ridiculing my predictions, please don’t put any spoilers on my comments! I hate to know the ending of a book before I’ve read it myself.

13 Comments:

Blogger Mme Cyn said...

I promise not to change this blog entry once I've read the book (so you'll all get your laughs in), but please, please, don't publish any spoilers! It ain't right to deny people the pleasure of finding out for themselves.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Keef said...

You are a very sad woman. If I was JK I would just nuke Hogwarts round about page 79 and leave the rest of the book blank (but then I'm only in it for the money!).

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent set of hypotheses. ;-) I've just started re-reading the half-blood prince to get up to speed before Saturday. Totally agree on the Ron or Hermione approach, and my money is on Ron. Weasleys are more disposable just cause there are more of them. Draco definitely cops it, and probably not in the final denouement either. His clog-popping will be the bit that inspires the now traditional "Harry does some soul-searching in the middle of the book, and needs a good slapping" bit.
Need to pay more attention to the horcruxes though - havent been thinking ahead anywhere near as much as you. Hmmm.

And yes, Snape has to come good in the end. And will probably end up running Hogwarts. Which means that Hagrid may have to cop it too.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Mme Cyn said...

Oh no -- We CAN'T have Snape in charge of the school! That would be way, way too much! Think of having THAT as a headmaster!

(PS - I just updated this blog a bit - more on Snape & Harry... I promise to stop tweaking it now.)

1:10 PM  
Blogger Grumpy Goat said...

I did have THAT as a headmaster. He was a cross between Peter Cushing and Norman Tebbit.

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some people have WAY too much time on their hands. TM

8:53 AM  
Blogger The Ego said...

I want to go to MOE at 3am too... but I'm not allowed to!!! :(:(:(

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh one thing i can tell with the so called last installment is..there's going to be lots of sex in it! i don't care if you won't believe me but you'll find it out anyway....

8:51 AM  
Blogger Mme Cyn said...

Anon-- I don't buy it. Even though the Three are teenagers, the audience for the books is still young. And besides, it is not "automatically" acceptable for teens to have sex (sorry!) in our society, and JKR would not offend so many of her readers (especially the parents) like that. She's well aware of the impact that favorite characters have on the young.

I bet you a nickel any 'sex' that goes on is quite chaste, like the kiss with Cho in Book V, or Ginny's string of 'boyfriends'.

9:23 AM  
Blogger secretdubai said...

I've read the book but I'm not going to comment on your spoilers ;)

I would say that some of the book and action feel quite rushed, and there are a lot of wtf? what just happened? moments for me. Not in a good way either, some details felt rushed over. Possibly I read it too quickly, but either way, I recommend you read it quite carefully and steadily.

Anyway all Harry fans will hugely enjoy it, as will you.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Mme Cyn said...

Secret! How on earth did you get an advance copy?!?

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok i'll take that bet..how about raising it?

9:15 AM  
Blogger secretdubai said...

There's a photographed copy that has been available on Bittorent for the past week.

Anyway you can read the physical one now ;)

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker